The future of digital music distribution in Nigeria is promising. With so much untapped talent and a flourishing industry, unsigned artists have a lot of opportunities to get their music out there.
Aside from artistes, there are other actors involved in digital distribution (getting music from its point of creation to where you can hear it online). Record Labels, Digital Distribution Platforms, Independent distributors, Producers, Promoters, Agents, and Publicists all play a role.
How does digital music distribution work?
Initially, physical music distribution (the process of releasing music on CDs, vinyl, or cassettes) used to be the only way to distribute music in the past. Although still in practice, this traditional method of distribution has become even less relevant, applicable, and applied. More creators have begun to switch to digital platforms due to advancements in technology.
However, today, the most popular and easy way to distribute music in Nigeria is through digital distribution. This involves releasing music on streaming services or download platforms.
With digital platforms, the goal is to get music onto Digital Service Providers (DSPs). Some of these DSPs include Spotify, Apple Music, Boomplay, Tidal, and Amazon Music. Also, User Generated Content sites like Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and TikTok are target platforms.
Digital Music Distribution Companies
There are various digital distribution services in Nigeria you can use to distribute and promote your music online. We’ll highlight some of them below:
- Dvpper Music is a Nigerian distribution company, founded in 2017 by Damilola Akinwunmi. They offer Distribution, Marketing/Promotion, Record label and talent management services. Their roster includes Ice Prince, Teni the Entertainer, Skiibii, Omah Lay, T.I Blaze, and many more.
- MAD Solutions is a Digital content management, distribution and promotion company of Simi, P Square, Reekado Banks, Asa, Seyi Shey, Runtown, and many more.
- Azuri Music is a Music Distribution, Publishing and Licensing company founded by Akorede Asunni. The company has worked with M.I Abaga, Young Jonn, Candy Bleakz, Toby Sheng and many more.
- DIXTRIT.media is a digital media distribution and optimization company founded in 2015. They have worked with Mercy Chinwo, Gil Joe, Seriki, RAW, Slowdog, and many more.
- Star Makers Distribution, founded by Jacob Monday, helps artists across the continent to promote and market their music. They have worked with several African artists such as Oritse Femi, Jaywon, Terry tha Rapman, and many more.
Other distribution services in Nigeria include Jungle Entertainment Venture, Freeme Digital, Fresible Music, OneRPM and Africori.
At the end of the day, a well-oiled wheel has the Record labels playing their part in ensuring that their artist’s works are distributed through the right channels. In turn, Digital distribution companies ensure that all works distributed through them are accounted for, and royalties are analyzed accurately and transparently using tech-enabled solutions like Royalti.io.
At Royalti.io, we know that the ability to track music royalties seamlessly is an essential part of the music distribution business. Our royalty accounting software provides record labels and distribution services with a sub-accounting platform for their admins and artistes to track music royalties from different distribution channels.
Try our demo to see how it works.